Wednesday 25 March 2009

Tango Personal Mythology

The Mythology of an Idea has to start in a coffee shop. Preferably in Paris, Bs As or NY but when push comes to shove any coffee shop will do, as long as the coffee is good "[Great Northern waitress pours Agent Cooper's coffee]Cooper: Wait a minute! Wait a minute! [sips, sighs blissfully]This is--excuse me--a DAMN fine cup of coffee. I've had I don't know how many cups of coffee in my life, but this is one of the best.""

Then comes another Tango idea; The Suit; specifically I saw this beutiful cream linen 2 piece suit Italian tailoring, but the sizes in the store didn't come close to what I could wear. And that's how it is. I don't fit. Its not that clothes dont fit me, its that I dont fit the clothes- or shoes for that matter; the sizes that accomodate the length of my feet, are always too wide. So what is the image I have of myself? it seems to be detemined by NOT-THIS rather than anything. I lack any real chutzpah to have STYLE, but there are days I want to be striking (without appearing a clown!) It happened once when I was madly in love and I found that a lot of women were staring at me so I must have been giving off a good, maybe amazing, vibe. But I cant recreate it, summon it up and its so long ago that I cant remember whats like to be in love, but I feel the vacuum,the empty space, thats left.

I am struggling with an elusive idea that is confounded by reality.The best tango images are i think where the people are beautiful. the dancing videos that I like contain probably a different number of elements that I find aesthetically pleasing; but how does this connect to my own dancing; I only feel what I dance I cant see it. I dont know if it has any quality of beauty within it. Even the stills photos of myself dont please me, in fact the opposite. I dont fit whatever self-image I am trying to acheive ( perhaps to have the same qualities as Chicho)There's the rub:Idea vs Reality;where do the two meet? if they ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment